A Leadership Experiment

I recently joined the Software Lead Weekly newsletter and have really enjoyed the weekly sampling of software leadership articles. I've learned a few things and have had a few good discussions with my coworkers. I highly recommend signing up for it if you're a leader in the software industry or wanting to become one.

Recently my company decided to forgo giving the title of "Technical Lead" to developers on each team preferring to let the team organize itself and people to fill the roles that need to be filled. I was a tech lead and basically still am, but I didn't mind seeing that formality go away. It didn't come with any increase in pay or official promotion and didn't really mean too much. Some teams did rely on their tech lead quite a bit sometimes to the point that they became bottlenecks which caused issues if they ever took time off. Other tech leads deferred to their team in an effort to help them grow.

A Thought...


One aspect of this change that I didn't want to see abandoned was an avenue to develop leaders within the department. I was afraid that by getting rid of tech leads we'd be getting rid of a career progression opportunity. So, I had a thought to create a channel in our company's Slack called #technical-leadership. When I fist created it, I set the purpose to "Discuss leadership in software engineering. eg. mentoring, coaching, providing technical guidance, etc." and gave an open invitation those that were "interested in that sort of thing" to join the channel. I figured this could be a place where we could talk about leadership skills and hopefully help each other become better leaders.

A Purpose...


With that channel created and those weekly newsletters from SWLW coming in, I started sharing some of the articles in that channel. At first I'd make a small comment about the article and share it. Pretty simple. Nothing crazy. But it didn't generate much of a response. I never knew if anyone read them or if they just sat there and I was the only one spending time on them. The head of the department joined the channel and started commenting on some of the articles, but it was basically a discussion between me and him. While good, that wasn't what I had wanted.

I had wanted everyone in the channel to at least read the articles (which may have been happening, but I had no way of knowing it). Beyond that, I realized I wanted this to become a community where people who are or who want to be leaders came to discuss leadership qualities or tactics or even share experiences they had to gather feedback so they can improve. I didn't want it to be a passive channel where you only consumed what was there. I wanted engagement.

So, I updated the purpose: "Helping each other develop into better leaders."

A Strategy...


And I updated my strategy. Instead of simply sharing a brief thought about an article, I'd write down questions that came to my mind as I read the article. When I shared the article, I'd also share the questions I had in an effort to generate discussions in threads in Slack. The first week I tried it was pretty successful. Taking this approach had caused more than half of the participants in the channel to share their thoughts. In one of these discussions, an important question was raised. From there, the management team added that question to the agenda for their next meeting and discussed how to address it.

That's the kind of thing I wanted to see. People sharing their thoughts. Improvements being discussed. Sometimes even actions being taken by the management team or other members of the department.

Going Forward...


Now, I don't expect that every week. I don't think every article will spark important discussions like that. I also don't expect us to take action every week. That would likely lead to chaos as we're trying to do improve in too many ways at once. It'd cause us to lose sight of what's really important to us. But I do think that the more we talk and discuss leadership topics, the better we, as a group, will get at it. We'll be better able to help our teams. We'll be better at identifying the improvements we need to make and the cool ideas that aren't practical for us.

We'll see where it goes from here, but for now I'll keep encouraging participation, sharing articles, and asking questions to generate discussion. Going forward, I hope to seem more engagement. More people feeling comfortable in sharing their thoughts. More honest discussions. I hope to see some people even sharing personal experiences and others building each other up and helping them grow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Common Technical Lead Pitfall

Maze Generation in JavaScript

Leadership Experiment Update 2