Intrepreneur vs. Entrepreneur

Entrepreneurs - The Coveted Way

Entrepreneurs are the super-stars of the business world. Everyone wants to be "the guy" with the next big idea. Everyone wants to be the next Mark Zuckerberg or Bill Gates. It seems so glamorous to be the brains behind a revolutionary product. I have no doubt that it could be that way. I'm sure it's exhilarating to have an idea, carefully feed it and grow it, see it implemented, and ultimately see money coming in because of it. I've heard it's amazing to hit revenue milestones and other growth milestones and know that you played a part in it. Your baby is making you more money than you thought possible. That does sound very rewarding.

But not everyone has that opportunity. Not everyone has ideas like Facebook, Nike, or Microsoft. Even people that do have some potentially revolutionary ideas often encounter too many roadblocks to ever make it to market. Be it funding or forming a team or simply the time, the skills, or the means to make the idea a reality, the impediments to becoming an entrepreneur are real and oftentimes formidable. Many that begin down this road are left worse off than when they started. Fortunately for some, the stars align and they're able to make their idea a reality.

Another Way?

What if I told you there was another way to be successful in life? It might not necessarily be as glamorous or have the potential to be an overnight millionaire, but it does come with stability and security. It's more of a long-term strategy than an instant jackpot, but it works and you'll still be able to see your family after work and on the weekends. It might not land you on the cover of People's magazine but you'll have a measured influence on the people around you.

Such can be the life of an Intrepreneur. What is that, you may ask? An intrepreneur is a person that creates jobs within the company he/she works at. An intrepreneur may start as a grunt but eventually fill a position within the company that didn't exist yesterday. An intrepreneur might not have the next big idea, but they probably do have a number of small ideas that will change the way the company works or even change the product the company offers. These small ideas combine with good old fashion hard work will open up opportunities not known previously.

Aren't you just another employee?

Yes. You definitely are. But that's not a bad thing. There are perks to working for someone else. Some of the perks of working for someone else is it's very low risk employment. The owner of the company has already put forth a lot of effort and has overcome a number of the biggest roadblocks for new businesses. That you even have a job there is a good sign that the company is growing and doing something right. In addition to that, you don't have to let the job consume your life. Most entrepreneurs spend well over 40 hours a week (sometimes 80 or more) on their business. As an employee, you may share the load a bit but you're likely working much closer to 40 hours than the owner is.

Even with the benefits of being employed, some may be wishing they had a bigger influence than just being another name on the roster. To truly stand out and become an intrepreneur, you need to think like an intrepreneur.

How do you think like an Intrepreneur?

To think like an intrepreneur, you need to think like an owner of the company. I don't mean worry about the numbers and making sure the company is profitable (that's the job of the owner and the executives). I mean taking responsibility for your work, genuinely caring that the company is successful, taking ownership for the product and for what happens at work, celebrating the successes of the company (not just your successes), always looking for ways to improve both for yourself and for the company or process or product, and not being afraid to voice your thoughts.

When I was looking for a job to take after I graduated with my undergraduate degree, I tried to take the time to find a company I felt good working for. After some searching, I was able to find one. When I started, there was a lot to learn, but I was eager and excited. I was assigned a mentor and he taught me that I was empowered as a professional software engineer. If I have thoughts or concerns, I should share them. If I had ideas or suggestions, I should share them. I'm a professional and my opinion is valued.

So, I started speaking up more. I still spent a lot of time listening in meetings and when working with others, but when I felt I had something to contribute, I shared what I could. This led to some quick promotions as well as me being involved in a number of changes in tools and processes at work. I quickly gained more knowledge and experience and became a person people went to when they needed help or to bounce ideas off of. While I still have a lot to learn and there are many people at work much smarter than me, I've made myself a valuable asset to the company and have enabled the company to try things they wouldn't have tried without someone like me.

When This Works And When It Doesn't

Trying to be an intrepreneur won't always work. There are some company cultures that are too toxic, too bureaucratic, and too stifling to make this work. However, there are a number of companies out there where this does work. Valve is a great example where every employee could be considered an intreprenuer. That is one example of many. Even if you find yourself stuck in a company where this wouldn't work, you can still change. You can try to think more like an owner and speak up more often. If you're not received well, you'll just be gaining experience that will help you as you try to land your dream job. Taking more ownership now will help build your skillset for any job you want to have in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Common Technical Lead Pitfall

Maze Generation in JavaScript

Leadership Experiment Update 2