Leadership Update 4

It's been a while since I've provided an update on the small group I helped create at work. To be honest, not much has changed. I share articles at least weekly and we sometimes have discussions about them. It's not a business-critical channel, so it's on the back-burner for most participants. I still have hopes of developing it into a medium for developing leaders within the company and providing those potential leaders with the resources they need to grow, but that's the end-game and I'm at level one with it right now.

One thing we have decided to do is to meet quarterly (which means once every PI for us) and have some in-person discussion or training. The first of such meetings will happen in a few weeks. I'm excited to see the participation but also nervous about it. I think we could have some great discussions and I hope something great comes of it. I hope it has a positive impact on the business and on those in attendance, but I shouldn't get my hopes too high. This is the first time we've done this in this way and will be a new experience for all those involved.

One other thing we're making plans to do is to read a book over the course of our next PI and to discuss it at the end of the PI. While some of our more senior leaders have read plenty of leadership-related books, some of our newer employees haven't read many at all. The challenge here, I think, will be selecting a book that's interesting for everyone that'll be participating and valuable as well. This may mean we select a book that some have already read. It may mean we choose a new book that none of us have read. Whatever happens, the goal will be for everyone to learn something and to be a better leader after reading the book than they were before. That will very likely be different for every person. Good thing there are a ton of great books to choose from (which is another problem since they're all so good).

As you can tell, my updates about this have slowed down. There isn't a ton of traction with the channel yet. People have said they do enjoy it. It's been used to bring up some great discussions on how we want to handle things at work. So, overall I'd say it's been successful so far, but I'm hoping to build it into something even bigger and more valuable for the company. But it's a long-term goal that won't come to fruition overnight. For now, I'll keep making baby steps and staying the course.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Common Technical Lead Pitfall

Maze Generation in JavaScript

Leadership Experiment Update 2