What You Can Do


Do you have any idea how much you're capable of?

Wait, me?! Nah, no way man. I can't do that!

Do you have any idea what your coworkers are capable of?

Wait, you mean HIM?! That's almost laughable. He'd never be able to do that!

But really. Do you really know how much you're capable of? Do you ever look around you and consider just how amazingly capable your coworkers are or can be?

Growing up, my dad always told me that I could be whatever I wanted to be in life. While I never became the doctor, lawyer, revolutionary scientist, or astronaut my boyhood mind might have imagined at one point or another, the lesson has stuck with me throughout  my life. Through various experiences in my life, I've come to learn that you really can do whatever you put you mind to. You are in-charge of your own destiny.

I like what the above quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson teaches. That is that you can learn, you can improve, and you can change. While human beings can be stubborn and unwilling to change, one of the great powers we have is the ability to change and adapt to our environment, to improvise and adjust to new experiences.

So, what's the big thing you're avoiding at work? Why are you avoiding it? What if I told you you really can do that? You can accomplish that. You can figure that out. Not even that, you can nail it. You can knock it out of the park. And your coworkers? Even that one weird one that mutters to themselves for seemingly no reason? Yeah, they can do great things, too. Sometimes they just need someone to tell them they can and give them to chance to.

So, what are you going to do?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Common Technical Lead Pitfall

Maze Generation in JavaScript

Leadership Experiment Update 2